You surely know Nike. Nike is a brand. And to become rich you may want to know a couple of secrets on how to become a brand. I know, business sounds like you have to wipe that paint of your face, stop writing your novel, stop smoking pot in a garage with your rock band – the risks are too high in the art industry. And even if the glory would find you, you’ll end up in a rehabilitation clinic. Your mother wouldn’t survive that… Now, back to the Nike secrets:
You have to be good at something, love something really much. Phil Knight – the chairman and co-founder of the Nike (i thought this guy was some famous actor before now….) , loved running! Well, I don’t know, if he loved to, but he had to run a lot and apparently became good at it… But why would someone become good at something he doesn’t love doing?
- You have to want more. Means your life shouldn’t bring you satisfaction at some points. I mean, even though you may be happy – there should be some itchy place there, inside of your brain
- You have to be in the right age and condition! But it’s better to be younger! Thus you’ll live the best years of your life with money. Well, again – who knows, which years of life are the best… Maybe it’s like the last year, when you have almost no needs and the nurse is washing you with a sponge… In Nike case 26 – is the age, when Phil Knight got knowledge of something, got some life experience and was till bold to take action. Though the other co-founder, Bill Bowerman, was not that young and that is why he already died. Unfortunately. I guess he was alright any age.
- You have to have a team! People seek for the encouragement of the tribesmen, because the evolution is not that fast to eliminate that feeling of embarrassment, when you look like a fool among the total strangers. Doing good job in front of the others makes you testosterone much higher! It guarantees that you may come up to the fire and get your part of meal. Also, you may share the responsibilities. And, of course, the money! So build your business the way you are effective together with someone. Pick yourself a like-minded person, in front of whom you would perform a great job of yours, and who would be triggered by your inspiration, or motivate you – who will be doing the part of job, you are not good at!
- You have to be a Jew. I’ll be saying the word “Jew” many times here, because we’re talking about money, cheap stuff and business. Italians great food and most musical language ever, French have best romance atmosphere, they say… Jews know money, or how to set things up to earn money. If you’re not a jew, get together with a jew, if you want business. I’m not being mean, I’m just talking about the sure things. Get a jew! That’s it!
- Get the idea! Do you have the idea? NO??? Get inspired! You should need the idea so bad, that it would pop-up as you’re looking at the waffle-iron. The criteria of your idea is the usefulness of your idea. The answer to the question “will it make the world or somebody’s life better?” should be “YES”. And your idea is suppose to improve something, not only be… The idea of Bill Bowerman was to save the energy of the runner if the footwear will be lightweight. He even counted the grams per distance! How many lives would that save back in the stone age – i can’t even think. So now people don’t have to be barefooted to run faster. And the production of the sole is not so costly due to the reduction of the quantity of the material. Does it help? Those, who need to run faster – run faster. Everybody’s happy.
- Earn a capital or find the investors. Or wait until your lonely uncle you never visit dies and lives you a fortune. Nike started with selling the shoes of some Japanese company, which is ASICS. Distributed the Japanese shoes. They invested their own money. So you’d probably need some money, it’s hard to sell the naked idea. Face it. There are many ways to set that part if you have the good idea!
Get Swooshy. Work over your brand name, slogan and logo. Just do it. If you don’t trust me – just do it.
- Advertise and promote yourself! I AM THE SEX GODDESS, Zeus says…. I don’t wear Nike, though they have nice shorts for roundish booties, but i watch their commercials. I even send the links to my friends – this is the best was to promote! Get viral! Make the commercial so good, that people would want to share it! Nike must have found a great agency and work with them forever. They spend huge money on advertising. If my blog was famous, i would be getting checks by now for promoting their brand. Because they care for their business! I’m sure – they’re SEO-friendly in all ways! They say – the marketing department of Nike is the key element of their success.
- Work hard and be obsessed with what you are doing. If you’ve chosen right – you’ll never get tired of what you’re doing. Means the working actually shouldn’t be hard. I mean – Phil and Bill loved sports, running and inventing… So they simply were all the time involved into the things they actually like – that is what makes you work all the time with the pants full of enthusiasm. So now it’s high time to just do it. You know…
As for the Nike commercials – these are my favourite so far: